Monday, March 19, 2007

blank title, blank mind

In my (Christian) religious pluralism class today the teacher read a series of profound meditations on the mystical and transcendent unity of all religions--the Perennial Tradition. He read from the Upanishads, from Meister Eckhart, etc.

At an early stage of my life I would have been transfixed by the message contained therein and the hearing of that message. But they no longer mean anything to me. The Laughing Man, as Da called the Siddhi (The Nondual Realizer) can't help but laugh at the whole practice of reading about what one already is and the whole apparatus of holiness and deep silence in the room, awe, and mystery. Then it will go away.

Is it funny, am I a jerk? Is it tragically sad? What is this response?

All experience has one and only one Nature, one Essence. That is the simplest description of the so-named Perennial (Mystical) Traditions of the Great World Religions. I emphasize the World Religions because I am not sure this is the insight of the indigenous ("primitive" in the old days) religions. I'm not sure that it isn't either. Just don't know.

As Trungpa said, after awakening, a garbage heap looks as beautiful (or ugly) as a van Gogh. A political cartoon is no less (and possibly more so) enlightened--absolutely--than the Vedas.

Relatively it is a beautiful setup, beautiful and holy words, beautiful and holy responses by the people. I don't want to go too far into the laughing siddhi mode. Because it comes across as laughing at the people which of all things it is not meant to be.

I've noticed a stronger tendency towards a Krishnamurti or Alan Watts-like denunciation of gurus, meditation, spiritual talks/readings, all the trappings and stylings of the relative way.

Treya said that towards the end of her life she no longer meditated to gain something but rather sat as an expression of thanks. That is a deep statement, that is a true-r statement than "God's oneness does not obscure his many-ness" (Upanishads).

I would go so far as to no longer even calling my sitting sitting or meditation meditation, even the thanks-only variety. In fact there is no point of naming it for there is in a real sense no point in talking about it at all.

So I didn't just write that.

Like Trungpa, my only desire anymore is to serve.

We're here together whenever in each other's presence. Can our hearts simply just drop and be beings-in-the-world together? Like the Last Supper, even Jesus had to give up a mission, the struggle, teaching, healing, criticizing hypocrisy. It all has to end in nothingness and love.

2 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'There was a man who had two sons....
...Now his elder son was in the field; and when he came and approached the house, he heard music and dancing. 26He called one of the slaves and asked what was going on. 27He replied, “Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fatted calf, because he has got him back safe and sound.” 28Then he became angry and refused to go in. His father came out and began to plead with him. 29But he answered his father, “Listen! For all these years I have been working like a slave for you, and I have never disobeyed your command; yet you have never given me even a young goat so that I might celebrate with my friends. 30But when this son of yours came back, who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fatted calf for him!” 31Then the father* said to him, “Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. 32But we had to celebrate and rejoice, because this brother of yours was dead and has come to life; he was lost and has been found.”'

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

you are one enlightened dude! did i just say that?:)
nothing really to say...except i have much to learn from "you"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home