Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Anglican-Catholic Union on Gay Adoptions

From the BBC:

The Church of England has backed the Catholic Church in its bid to be exempt from laws on adoption by gay couples.Catholic leaders in England and Wales say its teaching prevented its agencies placing children with homosexuals and they will close if bound by the rules. The Archbishops of Canterbury and York, Rowan Williams and John Sentamu have written to the prime minister. They say "rights of conscience cannot be made subject to legislation, however well-meaning".
I actually favor this policy, and I'm glad Rowan Williams has made this stand. I believe strongly in the rights of conscience, even I do not agree with the policy that some consciences have come up with. Particularly in a pluralistic society. I'm against laws that prevent gay couples from adopting (as in many US States, including my home one of Ohio). In fact as an adoptee and Christian, I am deeply hurt when I see other Christians advocate for banning gay adoption, when I have seen loving gay and lesbian parents take in children. That show me something of God's love and told that they are sinners. Still, as much as that position hurts me and hurts others I love, I'm equally against governments telling churches what to do--minus of course illegal & criminal activity.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home